Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) Tiers of Support
POSITIVE BEHAVIORAL INTERVENTIONS AND SUPPORTS (PBIS)
TIERS OF SUPPORT
The three tiers are designed to provide services to support district efforts to design and implement effective PBIS framework processes which include: developing an instructional behavior matrix and lessons; using assessments to support fidelity of implementation and the decision-making process; and creating effective learning environments. Effective environments are consistent, positive, predictable, safe and equitable.
Tier 1: Universal Training and Analysis:
- Provide Universal Tier 1 training to districts and/or buildings which includes the 3-day Ohio Department of Education (ODE) approved team training in the PBIS framework.
- Provide support to district and/or buildings who have implemented the PBIS framework and are prepared to complete a Tiered Fidelity Inventory (TFI) to assess the district’s level of fidelity of implementation and to create goals.
Tier 2: Customized Services:
- Provide external coaching support to the district and/or building’s PBIS lead or district PBIS internal coach.
- Assist the PBIS team in writing the PBIS School-wide Scale-up Action Plan, a requirement of ODE.
- Review data collection of behavioral incidences interpret with the PBIS team the data and determine appropriate behavioral consequences and reteaching of expectations.
- Train Schoolwide Information System (SWIS), an in-depth data system if requested.
- Assist district and/or building PBIS team members to train all staff in PBIS framework.
- Observe classrooms regarding management techniques and provide recommendations.
Tier 3: Coaching and Intensive Support:
- Modeling of team processes, adult supportive behaviors, culturally responsive practices and support to create equitable environments.
- Encourage self-assessments through PBIS.org and SWIS Suites to facilitate positive team and staff growth and change over time.
- Support to continue the customization of the PBIS framework based on district and/or building need.
Cathy Csanyi, PBIS Consulant
Ms. Csanyi has 20 years experience training, coaching and implementing PBIS framework. Ms. Csanyi worked for six years at the Ohio Department of Education and was one of the original members of the state team that developed the state training and coaching model.