Courses in Wilson Reading System and Orton-Gillingham Open for Registration
Mid-Ohio Educational Service Center is announcing two professional development opportunities in literacy for educators. The Wilson Introductory Course will be held June 7 through 9. This training is the prerequisite course to enter the year-long Wilson certification program. In July and August, the Orton-Gillingham Associate Level class will be held.
The Wilson Reading System course will help educators:
- Become proficient at teaching structured literacy.
- Gain the confidence, skills, and experience necessary to successfully teach reading and spelling.
- May become qualified to teach students with dyslexia.
- Learn to teach reading and spelling using a straightforward, experiential learning approach that supports the goals, principles, and recommended practices of the science of reading.
- Acquire multisensory teaching strategies and a comprehensive understanding of the structure of the English language.
- Improve the ability to plan and implement a coherent lesson based on the diverse needs of students.
The Wilson Introductory Course will take place via Zoom from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. with a maximum of 35 participants. Cost will be $450 per person with the Zoom link being sent upon payment. Cohort registration for the full certification course will take place in May.
The 60-hour Orton-Gillingham (O-G) Associate Level class supports the understanding of the specific procedures and underlying principles in teaching reading, spelling, and vocabulary to students with dyslexia that aligns with the science reading. Course topics will include the characteristics and needs of students with dyslexia, the critical structures of English that must be addressed by instruction, and the design, implementation and evaluation of effective individual lesson plans. Certification with the O-G Academy requires the completion of an additional, year-long practicum program in 2022-2023, and registration for those cohorts will take place in May.
The O-G course will be held at Mid-Ohio ESC July 25 through 29 and August 2 through 5, a total of 9 days, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:40 p.m. Lunch will be on your own, and the cost is $1300 per person. There is a minimum of 15 participants needed to hold the course.
Until April 30th, Mid-Ohio ESC clients have early access to registration at moesc.net/register. After April 30th, registration is open to everyone. Anyone with questions may direct them to Lynn Meister, Director of Teaching and Learning, at email@example.com.